Ahmad A. Nassar: #roadtocreatingmyownmarket
THIS WEEK'S TRAILBLAZER IS SOCIAL ENTREPRENEUR, AHMAD A. NASSAR
READ ON TO LEARN ABOUT AHMAD'S PERSONAL JOURNEY:
KEEP UP WITH AHMAD ON HIS #ROADTOCREATINGMYOWNMARKET
instagram handle: @detroit75kitchen
snapchat name: @nass313
site/blog link: http://detroit75kitchen.com/
VISIT DETROIT 75! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!
Monday-Thursday: 10:00 am - 5:00pm; Friday: 10am - 6pm
4800 West Fort Street, Detroit, MI, 48209
1. WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY, AND WHEN DID YOU DECIDE ON YOUR DESTINATION?
As an undergraduate student, I had the opportunity to gain experience with the National Institute of Health doing research on a team that earned a 10-year, $160 million grant, and during that experience, i successfully identified a method to prevent premature birth by 35%. While I am very proud and thankful for this opportunity, it helped me realize that I no longer wanted to become a physician.
To make a real difference in the healthcare space I needed to think bigger. having a vast non-profit experience, a desire to uplift southwest Detroit, and my brother - a culinary expert- on hand enabled me to take a leap of faith and start my own business with a socially conscious dimension to the firm.
The end product became a stationary food truck strategically placed in Southwest Detroit that has garnered local and national attention not only for the extraordinary cuisine it offers but also for the community work and health-related initiatives it bolsters through the formation of Foundation 75.
2. WHAT HAVE BEEN SOME HIGHLIGHTS ON YOUR #ROADTocreatingmyownmarket?
AWARDS, PARTNERSHIPS, & MEDIA MENTIONS:
- Partnership with the Social Innovation Fund – a federal initiative with up to $6 million match dollars available for our local market
- Awarded best sandwiches to eat in Detroit by Eater
- Best Food truck 2014, 2015, and 2016 by local media
- Featured on National BuzzFeed as 1 of 8 places tourists must try in Detroit
- Urban Gardening Trek in Brooklyn, NY with Kimbal Musk (brother of Elon)
- Traveling across the united states to taste and experience street food in various metropolitan cities
- Time spent in San Francisco Design Thinking
- On Set with Sway in the Morning during discussion on politics and social entrepreneurship
3. WHAT ROADBLOCKS HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED, AND WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED FROM THEM?
In 2014, Post-Recession, not much redevelopment efforts had unfolded in Southwest Detroit. Most attention was given to areas like Downtown, Midtown, and Corktown. trying to paint Southwest Detroit in a new light has been a major hurdle as we try to pull development efforts and customers to this part of the city.
Through innovative marketing campaigns, key contacts, and partnerships, we are now proud to be serving as an economic anchor for redevelopment in southwest Detroit. This experience has taught me that anything is possible– as long as the efforts are intentional and persistent.
4. WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU RECOMMEND TO THE REST OF THE #ROADTO_ COMMUNITY AS THEY TRAVERSE THEIR OWN PATHS?
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT/BUSINESS BOOKS
- Start with Why
- Contagious: Why Things Catch On
- Moonwalking with Einstein
- Rich Dad's Cash Flow Quadrant
- For the Love of Physics
- A Short History of Nearly Everything
- Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson
- Bigger Pockets (Podcast)
- The Intelligent Investor (Book)
- Rich Dad Poor Dad (Book)
- Dough (Youtube Channel)