Damola Ogundipe: #roadtoimpact
THIS WEEK'S TRAILBLAZER IS SOCIAL IMPACT ENTREPRENEUR, DAMOLA OGUNDIPE
KEEP UP WITH DAMOLA ON HIS #ROADTOIMPACT:
instagram handle: @damolaogundipe
twitter handle: @damolaogundipe
snapchat name: damolaogundipe
READ ON TO LEARN ABOUT
DAMOLA'S PERSONAL JOURNEY:
1. WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY, AND WHEN DID YOU DECIDE ON YOUR DESTINATION?
I want to leave a sustainable and measurable impact on the world. I’m not sure if that will be economically, socially, politically, even all of the above--only God knows. But just as it is important to leave a lasting impact on the people you come in contact with everyday, it’s also important to work towards leaving a lasting, tangible, [positive] imprint on the world. As an agent of change and positivity, my destination is to do just that.
2. WHAT HAVE BEEN SOME HIGHLIGHTS ON YOUR #ROADTOIMPACT?
- immigrating to the United States from Nigeria
- realizing I wasn't meant to be a professional athlete
- becoming a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- meeting my life partner
- going back to Nigeria for the first time as an adult
- starting Civic Eagle
3. WHAT ROADBLOCKS HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED, AND WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED FROM THEM?
Honestly, I don't consider anything I've experienced a roadblock. At least not right now. Maybe I will in the future. But right now everything that comes my way that is an impediment to my next step, I look at as something I have to chip away at, and that the process of chipping is intentional. That I'm gaining something with each swing. And maybe that's what I've learned: that there are no roadblocks that force you backwards, only impediments in the way of your next step that you can find a way to remove.
4. WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU RECOMMEND TO THE REST OF THE #ROADTO_ COMMUNITY AS THEY TRAVERSE THEIR OWN PATHS?
Search for something and let yourself get lost in the rabbit hole. People don’t do this enough. The internet has democratized information and search engines like google is the rocket ship straight to whatever it is you want to learn. Use it.
Utilize social media to learn from others, and reach out. I've made countless amounts of friends and acquaintances by being bold and reaching out to people I wanted to meet (not necessarily celebrities, but changemakers and innovators) on LinkedIn and Twitter. Use social media not just to gossip and follow celebrities, but to learn and network with people you want to interact with.